Saturday, January 31, 2009

First Quilt of the Year

One of my resolutions for the year is to finish one quilt each month. I am well on my way with my first quilt of 2009 being finished this morning.

This quilt has 9 pairs of flip flops with different ribbons at the straps. When I put the top together it didn't seem long enough, so I added a row of pinwheels at the top and bottom of the quilt. Now, it is about 55 x 65.

I made this quilt for my niece's 13th birthday. Unfortunately, that birthday was in October. I'll still send it along to her and hope she likes it.

My next quilt is a quilt I've organized with the ladies from our church. We have a lady in our church who underwent some sudden and severe heart surgery in December. I live too far away to do much daily for her and don't have money to give. While looking through some magazines, I discovered a quilt that would be perfect to make for her and easy enough for others to make, too. So far, I have 11 sets of blocks turned in and 6 more promised. That will give me 17 sets. Ideally, I'd like 26, but I'll have to look through my sketches and notes to see what will be best. I'd really like to have the top put together by next weekend and the quilt ready to give the following weekend.

Other sewing news, I'm behind in my other sewing. I had wanted to make a robe for Arthur this month, but didn't. I also didn't get 3 valences done. The valences are priority, so I'll be working on those this coming week. Arthur and I have both been sick the last couple of weeks and that has slowed us down a bit. We'll take it easy for the next few days and, hopefully, be back on track soon!

Veronica

No comments: