Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Year of Quilting

Like many other people that have a creative streak galloping through their veins, I often find myself jumping from one type of craft to another. Generally my interests center around sewing or needlework. In the last couple of years, I've really latched onto quilting. The more I do, the more I realize there is to learn, and the more quilts I want to create. It has occurred to me that the only way I'll make any kind of a dent in my "Want To Make" list is to give myself a goal or deadline. So, that is precisely what I am going to do.

The rules are simple.
I must quilt every day. "What does that mean, exactly?", you might ask. Well, that means that I must, in some way, sew with thread or cut fabric for a quilt. This could be hand sewing a few hexagons together, tracing template pieces onto fabric for a Dear Jane block, strip piece blocks for a border, baste layers together or quilt a design in a quilt. But the day must have some kind of progress toward a quilt finish.

I may not claim fabric petting or purchasing as quilt progress. This also includes looking through my own fabric for the perfect piece. Even though that may get me closer to my goal, this can take hours and many times sidetracks me from the ultimate end - finish a quilt.

So, with saying all that welcome to my
Year of Quilting

Day 1
I dug out some hexagon flower blocks I made last summer. Originally, I had planned to just make a bunch until they reached a twin or queen bed size. I think now that I will make a doll quilt size. I sewed one row of pink blocks around a cream center. The quilt will be browns/pinks/creams.


On the 28th of April, I finished and mailed a doll quilt to my swap partner Kala on Quilting Around the World. I had great fun making this little quilt. The designed is inspired by a wall hanging I saw while searching for doll quilt ideas online. Oh, I hope she likes it! I like how it turned out, but now I'm second guessing what her tastes might be. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Veronica

No comments: