Thursday, July 8, 2010
The Latest Finish
After many posts and a lot of work, the bookcase quilt if finally complete. It only lacks a label, but I'm waiting for instruction on what exactly should be on it.
I really enjoyed making this quilt. It was a bit intimidating at first because I didn't have an actual pattern. In doing some web surfing, I did find someone who gave some general instructions on how to make the books. I'll have to work on making slanted books as those gave me the most difficulty. I felt like I was doing everything backwards and I never did seem to cut the fabric correctly.
The quilting for the background came easy: a meander using black thread. On the shelving I used a tan in the top and black in the bobbin. I really struggled to find the right way to quilt the books and knickknacks on the shelves. After much thought and some discussion with a woman at the local fabric store, I decided to use invisible thread in the top and black in the bobbin and do stitch in the ditch (or outline) for the books, etc. It was the best choice for showcasing the books without fear of the quilting taking away from the piecing.
Now, to pack this up and send it off. Boy, I wish I could keep it! I'm very happy with how it turned out.