Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Latest Finish


After many posts and a lot of work, the bookcase quilt if finally complete. It only lacks a label, but I'm waiting for instruction on what exactly should be on it.

I really enjoyed making this quilt. It was a bit intimidating at first because I didn't have an actual pattern. In doing some web surfing, I did find someone who gave some general instructions on how to make the books. I'll have to work on making slanted books as those gave me the most difficulty. I felt like I was doing everything backwards and I never did seem to cut the fabric correctly.

The quilting for the background came easy: a meander using black thread. On the shelving I used a tan in the top and black in the bobbin. I really struggled to find the right way to quilt the books and knickknacks on the shelves. After much thought and some discussion with a woman at the local fabric store, I decided to use invisible thread in the top and black in the bobbin and do stitch in the ditch (or outline) for the books, etc. It was the best choice for showcasing the books without fear of the quilting taking away from the piecing.

Now, to pack this up and send it off. Boy, I wish I could keep it! I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Veronica

17 comments:

Carol Teeters said...

This is beautiful! I can't think of a single librarian who wouldn't want this in their home or library!

Marlene Rice said...

This is awesome! ! I so badly want to make one like this , but have no idea where to begin. Any tips at all? lol

Shawna Keiser said...

Beautiful quilt. I would love to have one. Do you make them to sell?

MJ said...

OMG this is just amazing! Just found this via Pinterest, I am well impressed with your creation here. :)

Anonymous said...

Love this! Found it via Pinterest too. Would love to have one of these too!

Gretchen said...

This is amazing, like the dark background. Any book lover would adore this! Great job! If you ever decide to do a tutorial, remember me!! I saw one other one on pinterest and been saving all my scraps for a project like this.

Dawn Hansen said...

I have a friend who said she would make this for me if I got a pattern. What can you share?
hansendawn@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

My partner would like to order one. Please contact vikinggod@gmail.com

Rosie said...

Your talent astounds me. This is a most amazing work of art! I am a book lover, and I would buy this. If you ever sell, or if you ever take orders, please let me know!

Rosie in San Antonio, TX

Veronica said...

Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful comments!

I'm having some problems with the blog and can't reply to individual posts. I'll be trying to fix it at the beginning of the year.

I have been able to e-mail a couple people who have asked. If you would like more information on this quilt you can always e-mail me at mrs.johnson2000@yahoo.com

I can definitely take orders to make a custom quilt. You would need to think about the size you want and what nicknacks, if any, you'd want.

For those that want to make their own, I didn't have a pattern. I scoured the internet for ideas. The books are strips of color fabric with the solid color background on the top. They're all sewn together and trimmed to make a shelf. Please e-mail me if you want more information.

Again, thank you, everyone!!
Veronica

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! And yes, the book lover in me wants one! Very nice job!

Marjanna said...

AS I said in my email, it is a truly lovely quilt. Well, if I didn't say that, I meant to! It is certainly making the rounds in the book community!

Amy said...

Amazing, breathtaking, awesome.

Sherri Lucio said...

Amazing Design....Love, Love, Love it! I am a book lover, and have my sewing room, would love to have something like this on my wall!!

Karol said...

I would LOVE to attempt a bookshelf quilt such as this one. Can you please give me the name/s of those who helped you? Im a novice but have an avid reader daughter who would love this kind of quilt.

Karol said...

Hi Veronica. This is Karol. If you would, please tell me who gave you the general instructions on how to make the books for your beautiful Bookcase Quilt. It's outstanding! :-)
Thanx for your help.

Karol said...

Please send your follow-up comments to my email.
Thanx again, Karol