Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More than I could chew....

A few months ago I thought it would be a fun idea to blog every day about my quilting experiences. The ultimate goal was to keep me quilting so that I could finish several UFOs (unfinished objects) and not feel overwhelmed by it all. It was a fine idea. And for a month and a half, I was able to quilt and post about it consistently.

Then, I was nearly fired from my job.

"You have a job?!"

Yes. My title is wife and mother. Now, some may poo-poo my role in the household as degrading, unfulfillable, chauvinistic. And when I start to have a pity party and become very selfish, I begin to agree. However, being a wife and mother is completely the opposite. There is nothing more satisfying than to see a clean and organized home, a happy husband and children excited to do things with me.

So, how did quilting nearly get me fired? Trying to quilt every day became a very self-centered activity. Those dishes would pile up in the sink and begin to spill onto the counter because I would rather quilt than wash them. The kids would get one less story at night because I wanted to rush them into bed so I could quilt a few minutes in the evening. My husband would wander around with shorts and *gasp* black knee socks because I thought that HE should do the laundry once in a while if he wanted his other socks washed.

My internal argument was that quilting made me happy. I need to quilt every day to stay happy. But, I wasn't happy. My household was falling apart. I was feeling despondent by the piles of laundry, dishes, clutter, cleaning encroaching on every thought. Plus, Abigail decided that evenings would be her time to be cranky, clingy and not go to sleep until midnight.

I can hear some shouting, "What about that husband?! Make him do the dishes!" And it's taken me almost 10 years to unfetter myself from the shouting throng. When I take my focus off myself and what I want to do and the "rights and privileges" I'm "missing out" on, an amazing thing happens. I'm happy doing my housework and spending time with my family.

Does this mean that I won't do any more quilting? Not in the least! Just for now, while the children are little and rely completely on me, quilting will be an occasional pastime when time allows. There will time for quilt retreats, sewing parties, lazing around the house later. For now, I have a baby to feed, a son to read stories with, a husband who desperately needs some clean underwear.

Veronica

No comments: