Sunday, June 19, 2011

Some days do not go as planned...

Periodically, the kids and I end up in Bend overnight doing some house-sitting. Friday night was our latest adventure. Since we didn't have anything going on Saturday and Arthur has been asking to go for a while, I took them to the Bend library. I couldn't plan much for outdoor work as rain was predicted on and off all day.

The Bend library is much larger than the Redmond library with a wonderful children's section. We decided to enjoy the library for an hour or so first and then get some lunch before heading back home. That would get us back home in plenty of time for me to do some much needed indoor stuff that I'm always putting off. Don't ask me why, but I just detest doing dishes and laundry. Sadly, those two chores are never done, even when you've done all you can for the day. Someone then decides they need to change clothes or eat something. Ah, well.

We arrived at the library just after 11 am, only to find the library doesn't open until noon on Saturdays. I saw a sign reading Library Park, so gratefully took the kids over there. There were no slides or swings, but a small path and a few benches backed by a large rock garden. Arthur had a great time climbing over the rocks and Abigail was pleased to just walk around on the brick pathway, thick grass, and rocky sitting area.

At noon, we entered the library and relaxed for an hour and a half playing games on the computer, reading books, playing with the toys and watching the other kids. By 1:30, we were ready to go find some lunch and head home.


Our car is a 1993 Chevy Cavalier. This car has one key to unlock the doors and trunks and a different key to put in the ignition to drive. I admit that I was more interested in talking to Arthur about plans for lunch than in paying attention to which key I was putting in the ignition. When it wouldn't turn, I realized I still had the unlocking key instead of the ignition key in my hand. The was stuck, but I was able to wiggle it out. However, when I put the right key in the ignition, it wouldn't turn.

At this very moment, Brian was just arriving in Prineville (about an hour away) for a video job. He was going to be taping a dance recital at 2:00 and sometime around 6:00 or 6:30. In between the recitals he would have a couple hours. Since he would be working and we needed to eat, the kids and I walked downtown to find Subway. I didn't know that they had closed. (At least I couldn't find them.) But we did find a New York City Sub Shop. By the time we got there (about 4 blocks away) I was regretting not having a stroller for Abigail. We some delicious subs; I love their meatball sub! I called Brian and left a message telling him we were stranded.

The rain poured while we were in the library earlier and in the restaurant, but we didn't have any rain falling while we walked the several blocks to and from the library. I tried the car, key still wouldn't turn. Now, it was close to 3 and busier in the library. Four little girls were running around being pretty wild. They spied Arthur and had fun teasing and pestering him. I finally allowed him to escape to the computers to play as we sat and waited for word from Brian whether he could save us or not.

Just before 4, Brian called saying he could get us in an hour and we'd have to be quick so he could back to Prineville. I did put a shout-out on Facebook for anyone that could help us, but no-one was able to. As the library was closing at 5, Brian drove up. He tried the car ignition with his key and it still didn't work. So, he drove us home and he went off to his second job.

Our car still sits in the 2-hour parking space near the library waiting for a locksmith. Our locksmith friend doesn't have his truck until next week, so we'll call Bend Lock and Safe first thing in the morning to see how quickly they can come fix our car.

So, I broke the car and we will probably have to pay out $100 to get it fixed. Brian's camera is also broken (NOT my fault) and will cost $400 to fix. And then there are the other bills of living on top of that. Things are REALLY tight, but we have an amazing God. He has given us the money to pay bills just when we needed it in the past and we know He can provide, again.

No comments: