Monday, August 29, 2011

Love/ Hate Relationship

In the last few years I have had several people give me older magazines of knitting, quilting and other crafts. While flipping through the pages of Knit It! by Better Homes and Gardens from 2006, I found a cute little sweater that I thought would be adorable for Abigail.
Here is a link to one made by michbrum. (I didn't find any real name or information on the knitter.)
Yes, I'm trying to look at the photo objectively instead of hurling fiery darts at the knitters perfect lace patter.

The body of the sweater is all knit in one piece, back and front sides from the bottom up. After a few rows of the lace pattern, the fun begins. I was to do several stitches, bind off a few stitches for the armhole, stitch across for the back, bind off some more for the other armhole and then continue with the side front. The problem I ran into was that I didn't know where in the lace pattern I was to continue on each row to make it look fluid.

After ripping out the back 5 times, I decided that I needed to chart the rest of the pattern. Once I had that done, things went much smoother. I still ran into some snafus (I've only worked from a knitting chart once before.), but finally finished the body of the sweater. I am now working on the first sleeve and having fun trying to chart the pattern and figuring out how to do the increases. If I didn't think this pattern was so cute, I would have thrown it out long ago.

I'll be glad when this sweater is done!

No comments: