Friday, August 5, 2011

The Running Elephant: Me


This week (Has it only been one week? It feels so much longer!) I started training to run a 5K in November. I came across this site that claims it will take you from the very beginning (sitting on a couch) to running a 5K in just 9 weeks. It's called Couch to 5K and I began the program on Tuesday.

Three days a week, I do interval training. Interval training is when you switch back and forth from walking to running. This week I run for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, repeating that for 20 minutes. I did pretty well on Tuesday. I was winded and it took a while to recover my breathing and for the heat in my face to cool down. Thursday was a different matter.

Brian and Arthur were gone overnight, so I had to take Abigail with me. Since I couldn't go down the stairs into the dry canyon with the stroller, I took the longer route which included a hill into the canyon. Going down the hill to get in was just fine. Turning around to come back, however, was a different matter altogether.



My body was tight and sore from the run on Tuesday, even with full stretching before hand. I'm not sure if the stroller was a help or hindrance. It was nice to have something to kind of lean on, but it was more awkward to check my stopwatch and push the stroller and swing my arms, and it was heavy. The last 60 second run came up when I was pushing the stroller up the hill to go home. I was still gasping to catch my breath from the last run spurt 90 seconds earlier. I was dying! Sadly, I had to forgo that last run-minute.

I did make it home without dying, but it was an embarrassing exercise. I don't think it could really be called running, more like lumbering. My legs felt heavy, I could barely lift them off the ground to take the next step. I'm surprised I didn't trip from dragging my feet along. Tomorrow is the third and final run workout for the week. I'm really hoping to end it well.

I don't want to be a running elephant anymore.

1 comment:

mrs.pabody said...

I am so inspired by you.... Good work!!! :D