Friday, October 21, 2011

The Squeeze

It's happened. I can't sit comfortably in my jeans anymore. So, I brought out the maternity clothing yesterday. Hmm.... things are not fitting well. I spent the entire day yesterday constantly hiking up my jeans. I really didn't want to give people a "plumber's view" (if you know what I mean). Maybe once the tummy really starts sticking out the pants will stay up better.

Most of my maternity clothing is from my last pregnancy in 2009, which was generally in the spring and summer. The first time I was pregnant in 2004, I only had a couple months to wear maternity clothing and didn't really develop a wardrobe.

How could someone only have a couple months of pregnancy? Wait...you don't know that story? I've got some time before heading to bed, so why don't I fill you in?

*disclaimer: I will be discrete, but this does touch on "women stuff."

I have never had what is considered a regular cycle. Which has never completely bothered me. The "week" of the cycle is always long, uncomfortable and heavy and that's all I'm saying about that. Before getting married in 2000, I had a doctor tell me that I would have a very hard time getting pregnant if I got pregnant at all. Not really something a bride-to-be wants to hear. But after 4 years of marriage, her prediction seemed to be coming true.

In September I noticed that my clothing seemed to be getting tighter even though I was trying to be good about my eating. Brian and I went to a friend's wedding and I felt dizzy throughout the day. Just thinking that I hadn't eaten breakfast and it was hot, I disregarded it. But at the beginning of October, I took a pregnancy test on a whim.

Positive!! How excited I was! Finally, I was going to have a baby! My appointment to see the doctor was the last week of October. She thought I might be due around March, possibly even the end of February. It had been a year since my last cycle, so the medical professionals couldn't count on their little charts. We had an ultrasound scheduled for November 2 (my birthday). The technician did all her measurements and we were able to see our little baby. What a wonderful day! And then we were hit with a bombshell. According to the numbers, this little one was due closer to the end of December.

Yes, you read that right. Less than 2 months. I had only just found out about this bundle of joy for a month, at the most. This was going to be the fastest pregnancy in history! (Of course, now there's a show where the entire premise is women going into the hospital thinking they are sick and ending up giving unexpected births. I had the idea first.) I saw the doctor a few days later and she wanted to push the delivery date to the beginning of December. By this point, I didn't want to see another medical "professional" until I was ready to give birth.

But, on January 1, 2005, I finally gave birth to my sweet baby boy Arthur.

(*I would put a picture here, but don't seem to have any on my computer at the moment.)

Anyway, how did I get on this long rabbit trail? Ah, yes! The lack of appropriate maternity clothing. Thankfully, I do know how to sew and have a few patterns. It's a good thing I DO have the patterns I have because the pattern companies have decided to STOP printing maternity patterns! I'm still in shock!

(Shaking myself out of this unheard of atrocity.)

Next week I hope to get out my patterns and search through my fabric to get some lovely things made to make me feel pretty during the uncomfortable stretching and bulging. I actually love to wear maternity clothing. I just think there is something so beautiful about a pregnant woman. (But not so beautiful that I want to see her naked tummy! Ick!! But that's another rant I'll avoid at the moment.)

What is going to be your next sewing adventure?

1 comment:

Thru a Tori-lens said...

Hi! Great blog! I have a secret box of maternity clothes in my attic if you're interested in borrowing them... I think we're about the same size. Let me know! I think I'm done with kids. But I still have that box up there...hmm...

Check out my blogs, sometime-
http://junipernews.blogspot.com (the "me" blog)
http://barefootstories.blogspot.com (the "other me" blog- homeschooling, children's lit, etc.)